Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Night Mordheim; The Fickle Finger of Fate

Hello. Welcome back. Here I was thinking that I would have another edition of MNM- Terrain A Go Go, where I would have pics of all the things in a grocery store that make great terrain without having to convert at all.

The best laid plans of mice and men, cannot stand contact with the enemy. Or so the mashup of old cliches goes.

So Saturday the wife and I picked up a new mattress set as had been promised. So no trip to the grocery store.

Sunday was spent getting ready for the annual Cub Scout banquet. So no trip to the grocery store. However, found out that one of my kids cronies just inherited a WHFB Warriors of Chaos army. So good news there.

Today, ah, today was the beauty. Thought I would have plenty of time, since I took the day off for my birthday. Cut and dry, right? So during the day, the wife and I did birthday stuff, and went to the store for more bedding stuff. Then the youngest child got out of school late. We went home to wait for the other kids to get home from school. Then we ran out for birthday dinner. We went to Five Guys Burgers & Fries. Great place, but expensive when taking the family. The only local 5GBF is in Oakland. Ah, Oakland, where there are more college campuses then you can shake a syllabus at. Therein was the problem, Oakland also contains one of the better gamestores in the area. Since I had already spent more then intended to for my birthday, I decided not to tempt fate by going to the gamestore.

Leaving 5GBF went to the car, drove approximately a block and the car stalled. Went to my pocket for my cellphone, and I realized that I left it on the desk beside the computer. Had Eldest Child call my dad on HIS cellphone. My dad agreed to come out and give me a jump, if we had gone to the gamestore, he would not have been home. We waited and waited and waited. Turns out that while Eldest Child had my parent's home phone (which I still have memorized since I was 6), he did not have any of my parent's cellphones. To make matters worse, they didn't have his current number, just the old one. So they drove around the wrong side of Oakland looking for us for like 45 minutes.

My mom took the wife and kids home, and my dad stayed to help with the car. Turns out it wasn't a bad battery, or anything simple, it seems my alternator is dying. So my dad and I charged my car battery with a jump. The drive home was a nightmare. Had to cross a bridge that it is illegal to stop on. If the battery suddenly died there, I would be in real trouble.

Made it home with little fuss and little muss, but I had everything but the headlights out. Its funny how fast you think you are going without the dashboard to tell you how fast you are actually going. I thought I was going like 55, but my dad said that I drove 25 the whole way back.

Pulled the battery and threw it on the trickle charger so that I can get to the mechanic. I'm debating doing that for a week until my registration is up so that I can get it done with the inspection as well.

Now, if I had been able to get out at Oakland at a decent hour, I would have stopped to show you guys what can be done at the grocery store. Now it will have to wait until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment