Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Night Mordheim: Scouting Around

Middle Child readying the Orcs for a game at Boy Scouts.



Hello, and welcome back to another exciting installment of Monday Night Mordheim. As I mentioned last week, I was going to take some Mordheim to the Boy Scouts.

Now, to facilitate this plan, I packed up my terrain and the six warbands that I was taking and put them into my car. Went to work, and then on the way home from work before Scouts, I got into an accident. I'm fine, the other driver is fine. My car is still drivable, but the frame is bent, so its totaled. However, it delayed me from doing what I needed to do.

A ridiculously quick stop home to grab some stuff I had printed out for the kids, and I was back at Scouts. Now, to help each kid, I had printed up the turn reference sheet and a warband roster for each of them.

I had hoped that I had gotten a few more people then I did. My kids took their favorite warbands, and two guys joined us. Both of them are Eldest Child's best buds, so it really wasn't a surprise that they joined us. We had quite a few people stop and look at the tables and question us. I'm hoping that next time, I'll get some more people to join in, or have the kids able to stand on their own enough that I can answer more questions then just quick ones. The most common question asked was 'Are you playing Dungeons & Dragons', and for once I was able to honestly answer in the negative.

What I had not counted on was the fact that I have one table's worth of terrain, not two. Due to the shortened time constraints and lack of terrain, I set the kids up closer then normal. Instead of rolling for a scenario, I created one. It was a variation of the 'grab the treasure' type of scenario. I put an extra model on the top of a tower to act as the 'treasure chest'. Game would end when someone got the treasure chest off their board edge, or the someone routed.

It ended well. Someone got the treasure chest and the other guy got the rout in both games. Here's the breakdown:

Undead (Eldest Child) vs. Dwarves (Buddy #1)- Dwarves got the rout, and the undead (unsuprisingly) walked away with the treasure.

Orcs and Goblins (Middle Child) vs. Possessed (Buddy #2)- O&G got the rout and the Possessed walked away with the treasure.

The best of all possible worlds. Everyone got something out of this. The kids got to show off that they knew something, and the new guys got to learn in a way that was not discouraging. Great times.

Here's some pics of the event. Not much to show, since I wasn't too sure how people were about their kids and the internet. Some people are real stuck up about it, others are more cool. However, this isn't facebook or whatnot, its a blog. So I decided to err on the side of caution.





No comments:

Post a Comment